Add the PWI Blog to Your Google Homepage

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lennon ... Bruno ... Cosell

Where were you the day John Lennon was assassinated? If you were born and have any memory of December 8, 1980, you probably received the tragic news from Howard Cosell, who broke the story during a telecast of Monday Night Football.

My buddy Ed and I were in a bar at Penn Station, two miles from The Dakota, where Mark David Chapman gunned down Lennon just hours after receiving an autograph from the former Beatle. Ed and I had just attended the WWF show at Madison Square Garden and had a great time watching Bruno Sammartino defeat Sgt. Slaughter in the main event.

Ed suggested we head over to The Dakota, but I couldn't. I am a huge fan of The Beatles and Lennon and I just wouldn't be able to handle it.

On the 30th anniversary of that horrible day, I think about John, Bruno, and Howard Cosell. I e-mailed Ed this morning to learn that he had the same thought.

Miss ya, John!

Stu Saks
Publisher

No comments: